Monday, November 2, 2009

Together. Apart.

Labels. Boyfriend. Girlfriend. Just two words. But it weighs so heavily on him. What's simple to me, apparently isn't simple for him at all.

We are worlds apart. He is the free spirit. I am the light that guides him home. But he doesn't know this. I just want to be his home. Like he is mine. Words draw a wedge between us. But I meant all that I said. I told him I love him. He asked me what I wanted. I said I wanted Us. All he gave me was a quizzical look, like I was out of my mind.

I meant it all. I said I would wait until he's ready. Weeks after, I'm surprised to realize that I meant it. Maybe he's not ready to put on labels. But he's not ready to call off the whole thing either. No cool off. No call off.

I'm ready to see him for what he really is. Not for the promise of what he could become. Because he is a free spirit, there are no limits, there are no boundaries. What we have cannot be contained in a box. Even if I try, it would only suffocate him. I know this, because sometimes I am one. A free spirit, that is. Maybe this is the reason why I have a heart that's bigger than me. Maybe that's why I grew up loving beyond distance and time. All those years, maybe God was preparing me for bringing him into my life.

Maybe this is the reason why I love the time traveler's wife. Maybe I am the time traveler's wife. I wait. I promise. I love.



No comments: